Study in the jungle near Tena!
Our jungle study program takes you into the Amazon Rain Forrest near Tena, one of the most bio-diverse area in the world. We will be staying at the GAIA lodge in the middle of nature.
- 15 hours of Spanish lessons
- Activities every afternoon
- Full board & shared accommodation
- Lots of learning, fun and adventure!
- Semi-private minibus transfer available (door to door)
- Departure from Quito early in the morning
- Check-In at the Gaia Lodge
- Orientational hike / Introduction to the area
- Chocolate manufacturing: Students participate actively in the preparation of chocolate from raw ingredients.
- Canoe trip on the Rio Napo and Rio Arajuno.
- Depending on weather conditions there might be the possibility to take a refreshing swim in the river.
- Visit to an indigenous family in the Anaconda Island. Students learn how a typical indigenous beverage called "chicha de yuca" is prepared. Also, learn how to shoot and handle a blowpipe!
- Hike to the living grounds of the "Hoatzin", the prehistoric bird of the Amazon.
- 2-3 hours hike in the Amazon rain forest
- We will go for bird-watching and
- A native guide will show us indigenous medical plants and their use
- Tubing in the Rio Arajuno
- Time to relax in the surroundings of nature and its beauty
- Visit at the animal rescue center "Amazonico".
- Departure for Quito
What to bring
As you would expect the jungle is hot, humid and rainy. Therefore, light clothing that dries quickly is recommended (synthetic materials typically perform better than cotton in this regard).
- ORIGINAL passport: the security checkpoint does not accept copies.
- Shorts and long pants (preferably non-cotton jeans)
- T-shirts and long-sleeved shirts
- Raincoat or poncho
- Bathing suit
- Insect repellent
- Sunblock and sun hat
- Binoculars for viewing wildlife
- Plastic bags for keeping things dry
- Rubber boots