Monte Líbano Spanish Course Program
This 5-day Study Program takes place on the Ecuadorian Pacific coast. Excursions aim at exploring the Machalilla National Park Ecuador's only coastal national park. The program's highlights are:
- 18 hours of Spanish classes with one of our teachers
- a 20,000-hectare marine sanctuary containing the only coral formations found on the Ecuadorian mainland coast. Humpback whales and dolphins inhabit the waters from June to mid-October. The whales pass through the park during their yearly migration from Antarctica.
- Los Frailes Recreational Area, containing a spectacular, unspoiled white sand beach surrounded by high sandstone bluffs and tranquil, azul waters.
- Isla de la Plata (Silver Island), which contains some of the same bird and marine species found on the Galapagos Islands. Species include blue-footed boobies, red-footed boobies, masked boobies, frigate birds, albatrosses and sea lions. Spectacular headland cliffs provide launching sites for the sea birds and stunning views of the ocean.
- a 40,000-hectare forest preserve containing some of the last tropical dry forest remaining in Ecuador. Over 200 species of birds have been recorded here, including parrots, parakeets, and seabirds. The upper elevations of the preserve contain a small cloud forest inhabited by howler monkeys.
Activities and Study Program schedules are flexible! Changes can be made according to participant's wishes and weather conditions.
Furthermore, your Professor will accompany you on the round trip Quito - Puerto Lopez, Puerto Lopez - Quito and also attend to all the activities that are included in the package!
Study on the beach!
The Hostal Monte Líbano is situated next to the beach. The owners are very friendly and courteously to their guests. You will feel very much at home at the hostal.
|8 pm Sunday||Departure from Quito on the night bus; leaving from the school|
|7 am||Arrival at Puerto López|
|8.30 am - 9 am||Breakfast in Monte Líbano|
|9 am - 10 am||Free time|
|10 am - 12 am||Spanish classes|
|Afternoon||Visit to the Frailes beach in Machalilla National Park. Swimming, relaxing and short hikes in the surrounding tropical dry forest|
Excursion to Isla de la Plata!
|8.15 am - 11 am||Boat ride to Isla de la Plata. Whale watching tour with guide (June to mid-October only)|
|11 am - 11.30 am||Arrival at the island: Lunch|
|11.30 am - 2 pm||Walking tour of island. View colonies of blue-footed boobies, red-footed boobies, frigate birds, albatrosses and other seabirds. We could possibly also spot some sea lions. Fantastic panoramic views of island cliffs and sea|
|2 pm - 3 pm||Snorkeling in an island's cove|
|3 pm - 5 pm||Return to the mainland, with additional whale watching (June to mid-October only) possible|
|8.30 am - 12.30 am||Spanish classes|
|12.30 am - 1.30 pm||Lunch|
|Afternoon||Trip to Salango Beach. Afterwards, we'll visit the archaeological museum in Salango. This museum chronicles six different cultures from the area, dating back to 3000 B.C.|
|8 am - 12 am||Spanish classes|
|Afternoon||Hiking excursion to the interior of Machalilla National Park. Here we encounter changes in vegetation and landscape from tropical dry forest to moist, cool cloud forest. Lots of opportunities for bird watching. Lunch included|
|8.30 am - 12.30 am||Spanish classes|
|12.30 am - 13.30 pm||Lunch|
|Afternoon||Free time in Puerto López|
|8 pm||Return to Quito on the night bus|
Meals, Accommodation and Guides
The hostel, consisting of cabins and rooms, was built from local and recyclable material. You have the opportunity to sleep in a small tree house.
The restaurant serves predominantly local delicacies and seafood.
Local guides will go with you on the excursions in the Machalilla National Park. They all have several years of experience and know the area very well.